If you have ever enjoyed sitting around a campfire, you will love the addition of a fire pit to your outdoor living area. Fall is the perfect time for adding a source of warmth to your outdoor environment. Building a fire pit can range from a simple do-it-yourself hardscaping project to an elaborate custom design.
Issues to consider in selecting an approach to your fire pit include:
- Appearance – texture, shape, color
- Use – ambiance, warmth, toasting marshmallows, cooking
- Ease of installation
- Cost – materials, labor, maintenance
In choosing the appearance you desire for your hardscaping project, you will determine the primary material. This selection will significantly influence the other issues above. Options for fire pit materials are extensive and include:
- Natural stone boulders
- Natural wall stone
- Packaged natural stone kits
- Packaged manufactured kits including fire-resistant inserts
- Concrete forms requiring customization
- Customized from manufactured materials.
The chart below provides basic comparison of key elements of the different approaches.